History of Pharmaceutical Imports in Africa

Nigeria

In 2016 Nigerian imported pharmaceuticals of around USD 405 million worth, majorly from India, Switzerland, China, UK, and Belgium. The imports include both raw materials and finished products, which are estimated to have grown by an average of 16.27% since 2012. India & China are the leading exporters of raw materials to Nigeria, accounting for 94% of total raw material imports.

Nigeria’s pharmaceutical need relies primarily on imports accounting for 98% of their inputs. As per the Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Group of Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (PMG-MAN), in 2016 domestic capacity utilization recorded a drop of 20%, with nearly 30% of PMG-MAN members completely shut down their production.

Image for post
Image for post

Angola

The key health concerns in Angola are disease including malaria, typhoid, infectious & parasitic diseases, tuberculosis, respiratory and diarrheal diseases, sickle cell anemia, rabies, measles, cholera, and chronic non-communicable diseases. In 2016 Angola imported pharmaceuticals of around USD 270 million worth, majorly from India, China, and Portugal. The imports include both raw materials and finished products. India & China are the leading exporters of raw materials to Nigeria, accounting for 95% of total raw material imports.

Image for post
Image for post

Moreover, the supply of pharmaceuticals in Angola varies from location to location. In the smaller pharmacies on the outskirts of major cities tends to sell unregulated & lower cost pharmaceuticals, which are often imported from India and China. Whereas the urban facilities supply high quality & registered drugs. On the other hand, private pharmacies sell branded pharmaceuticals, whereas the public hospital pharmacies sell the generic pharmaceuticals.

There is a presence of nearly 220 importers and distributors of pharmaceuticals and medical devices across Angola. The local manufacturing is majorly limited to Nova Angomédica, a joint venture between the Angolan Ministry of Health and private company Suninvest. The Nova Angomédica manufacturers analgesic, antimalarial, anti anemic, anti-tuberculosis, anti-inflammatories, antiallergic (pills and syrup forms), and also the saline solution and ointments.

Cameroon

Cameroon’s pharmaceutical 90% demand is met through imports & the remaining 10% of the local production. Of the total 300 molecules authorized by the government of Cameroon, only 33% are produced locally. The government is taking initiatives to strengthen their domestic production & proves its commitment to delivering quality health to its people.

In the beginning of 2018, an Indian pharmaceutical firm “Africure Pharmaceuticals” in Douala started its pharmaceutical production. It has the capacity to produce 1 billion tablets of high quality. It has already started with the production of 20 essential medicines including the painkillers, antibiotics, anti-malarial drugs, and will soon start producing anti-retroviral drugs.

Image for post
Image for post

Ghana

The total demand for drugs supply in Ghana is majorly covered by the import of pharmaceuticals majorly from India & China. Nearly 70% of the demand is met by imports, which amounted to USD 238.3 million in 2017.

Ghana’s government in 2018 came up with new development in the pharmaceutical industry that has opened up growth opportunities for domestic manufacturers. The government has restricted the import of 49 medicines, which are now reserved for domestic manufacturing. The import restricted medicines are paracetamol syrup and tablet, multivitamin tablets, vitamin B complex tablets, aspirin or caffeine tablet, aluminum hydroxide or magnesium trisilicate suspension, folic acid tablets.

Image for post
Image for post

About us:

Goldstein Market Intelligence helping businesses to be successful at strategy and take informed decisions to grow the business in the future. Goldstein Market Intelligence is one of the leading professional services firms, providing Intelligence Services, Consulting & Advisory, and research-related services to clients. We, at Goldstein Market Intelligence practice, work side by side with chief executives and their teams to create effective strategies and secure alignment across the organisation.

Goldstein Market Intelligence helping businesses to be successful at strategy and take informed decisions to grow the business in future.

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store